This is part of our Tiny House, Tiny Bloggers series, in which we turn over Plaster & Disaster to some VERY tiny bloggers to tell their own story of transforming an ugly, old (doll)house into a fresh and modern (doll)home. Follow it from the beginning here.
Disclaimer: Inclusion on this blog is not an endorsement by Plaster & Disaster of the tiny blogger’s methods or design decisions. Plaster & Disaster cannot be held responsible for your terrible decor choices after reading one of their tutorials. All opinions are their own.
Greetings! We’re here to share our most recent living room furniture project. We last shared our industrial marble top coffee table:
We’re thrilled by how that corner is shaping up, but the other side was looking pretty bare:
One reader suggested a console table under the window, and you read our tiny minds! We knew that a long, low console would be perfect for this space, and we thought it would look extra sweet with a record collection on display. Granted we don’t actually have a record collection, but it’s pretty easy to find colorful records (like books, records are really more for design purposes than enjoyment in blogger homes).
This design was super simple. We started by building the body of the table, which we made out of thin wood. We needed a top, bottom, sides, and then two dividers in order to split the frame into three parts.
Since our couch and coffee table are fairly blocky, we thought that a lighter, leggier look on this side of the room would balance things out, which meant one thing: tapered mid-century legs! Like with the dresser we fixed up for Madison’s room, we used a pencil sharpener to get the tapered look:
Making DIY legs, you have to be really careful that they are all the exact same height. We used two flat pieces of wood and some sandpaper to test and even out any minor differences after we cut them.
Then we used wood glue, clamps, and our tiny hammer to put all the pieces together. (Okay, just wood glue and clamps… but the hammer looks good for photos, no?)
So far we have a lot of wood tones in the room, so we decided that a light painted look was right for this piece. We went with a white body, which was as simple as a few coats of paint. We also needed to do a little touch-up work where some of the wood was coming apart, but nothing that some more gluing and clamping could solve.
Our final step was to add a pop of color by painting the inside of the console a bright, happy yellow. Once it dried, it was ready for us to load up with our newly-acquired records and plunk down the amazing turquoise record player we found! (More about how we got these records in a future post.) Here it is!
We’re so thrilled with how the living room is looking — so much more colorful and balanced, and we’re excited to have a record collection (rather than a big ugly TV) so our guests know that we’re sophisticated.