With my dining room coming along, I am loving this part of my house more and more! However, all this progress is making the rooms next to it (the kitchen and living room) look worse in comparison. The kitchen is obviously in need of work and something I plan to take care of down the line, so that is to be expected.
However, my dislike of my living room decor isn’t expected, although it has been lingering and growing for some time. While I feel like the dining room shows my taste/decor quirks in the best light, I feel like the living room shows some of the ways that it can go wrong. I like everything in there but something just isn’t quite right.
I’ve been thinking about this for some time and haven’t been able to figure it out, so I figured it would be worth talking about here and getting all of your help deciding what is wrong! While I don’t plan on doing work on this room in the short term, knowing what isn’t working will help me plan.
Admittedly, the room isn’t done yet. At the very least I still need to cover the ducts, get a proper piece for under the window and to put the TV on, and replace the coffee table (which is a lone hold-over from my college apartment). However, I am pretty good at looking ahead, and I can tell that even when I do those things, I still won’t be in love with this room.
As I’ve been sitting in this room over the last few months, I’ve come up with a handful of ideas of what could be wrong:
- The rug – while the shag rug is really comfortable, the white, blocky pattern isn’t in line with my style. I’d do better with a flat-weave, patterned rug like I have elsewhere in the house.
- Too many rectangular, dark pieces – with the book case, coffee table, and couch, the room is too heavy.
- Too many random pieces pushed up against the wall – I’ve got 9 different pieces (cabinet, console table, vertical bookcase, TV stand, shelf, bookcase, side table, couch, side table) all around the perimeter of the room.
- Too many small pieces – most of the furniture is small and mismatched, making things look skittish and busy.
- Only red, gray, and wood – unlike the dining room where I’ve got a wider variety of colors, there is mainly a lot of red and gray in here, with some dark wood furniture.
- Too many finishes – I’ve got ORB, silver/chrome, gold, and brass in here, making it look unplanned.
I am not sure if it is some or all of these things are the problem, but they all suggest different solutions! For example, if there are too many small pieces, I may replace a bunch of them with a large built-in arrangement to hold the TV and provide storage along the perimeter. If there are too many dark, blocky pieces, I can get a round, light-colored coffee table for a big improvement.
So I would love to know your opinion! Let me know in the poll below what you think the issue is:
Thank you for your help! Let me know your advice on what I should do with this room in the comments. I can’t promise I’ll do anything about it anytime soon, but I will think about it and get to this room eventually!