When we first had this conversation about using a tapestry as art for the large wall in our bedroom, I was worried that you all would think it would look too “dorm.” I was thrilled when you were on board and I could share the one that Brad and I eventually agreed to buy! (affiliate link – read our policies)
Once it arrived (in the age of Amazon Prime shipping, waiting for Etsy deliveries can be frustrating, but so worth it) I was thrilled to see that it totally lived up to my expectations. I almost texted Sage a picture but then realized that she’s seen a picture on this very blog and a different picture of it would really be no difference to her. But, really, in person it was gorgeous: a great flowy texture and very saturated.
Of course, the next challenge was making it actually not look like a college dorm. I figured that was all in the hanging. Slapping it up there with thumb-tacks and spritzing it with Febreeze would probably be the wrong vibe. Instead, as I’m trying to bring more natural wood tones into the room, I decided to hang it with a chunky wooden strip along the top.
So while Sage got up to some real DIY, I took a weekend to visit an awesome flower farm with my mom (more on that soon!), worked on painting a bazillion divided light window sashes, and hung my tapestry. I realize what follows isn’t a ground-breaking tutorial, but it did work and may be helpful to someone!
I started by laying it out against a pine 1×2 that I had chilling out in my basement-of-disaster-doom.
If I had the choice I would have gotten a nicer piece of wood, but I had this on hand and wanted to use it up. I allowed for a bit of stretch in the fabric and then cut the piece down to size.
I gave it a good sanding and then stained it. I started with a coat of Minwax Golden Pecan but after seeing it on I realized the pine would still be too light next to the red oak we have on the bedroom shelves. To compensate, I did a second coat which was a mixture of Golden Pecan and some leftover Cherry stain that I had on hand, which darkened and warmed it up a bit. I then coated with a clear semi-gloss poly.
Once that dried, I used a staple-gun to attach the tapestry to the back. I put the staples through the hem so that they wouldn’t cause the fabric to pucker and show in the way it hangs.
Also, to keep an even tension throughout, I started by attaching the ends, then hit one staple in the middle, and divided down from there. I figured that would keep it nice and even.
I then attached four little saw-tooth hangers along the length of it and put it up on the wall!
I totally love the colors. I think the wood piece along the top is a good scale for the size of the tapestry and helps it look more “grown up.” That, combined with the more mature image, muted tone-on-tone color scheme, and lack of empty pizza boxes helps it not give off the dorm vibe.
It looks straight there, right? Well, it is close. I think this picture totally sums up my approach to DIY:
SUPER close to straight. You really can’t tell that it isn’t perfect by looking at it, so there is no way I’m messing with more nail holes in the wall just to make the level go to 0.0.
I’m really crazy about it. Although there is more to do on this room, it is helping me see how much I will love it once it is done. Even though you can see the taped, unpainted windows in this photo, I still think it is just beautiful.
I think it gives a good sense of the direction I’m going, although there is still a bunch more to do! Here is where we (still) are:
Hang shelves in the corner Buy and/or DIY matching bedside tables (ideally with loads of dresser-like storage)
- Buy and/or DIY a bench for the end of the bed (ideally with storage)
Buy a new rug and bedding
- Buy and install new overhead light (PROGRESS!)
Decide between lamps or scones for beside the bed, and buy/install
- Buy and/or DIY several pieces of art for the walls (PROGRESS!)
- Hang window treatments
Fix gaping hole in the wall by installing grate
- Finally paint wood window sashes (PROGRESS!)
Looking forward to knocking some of these out and finishing this room! (UPDATED to add – check out my finished bedroom here!)